Friday, January 6, 2012

Compost Pile or Buffet Line?

Then something odd happened. After a few days, I noticed that some of my kitchen scraps were missing. Could it be a rabbit, or a raccoon? Maybe I wasn’t the only one smiling smugly at the compost pile. I rationalized that at least my garbage wasn’t adding to the landfills. So, I kept up my vigilance, adding to the pile every time we filled up the tub.
Then the snow came. It was time to dump the next heap, so I bundled up and put on my boots. As I trudged through the 6-inch deep snow, I saw tracks, well-work tracks leading to the compost pile. I wondered if some critter really was visiting my pile on a regular basis.  I hoped it wasn’t a coyote.  All I could think of was my Golden Retriever. If he saw a coyote, he’d chase it. And if coyotes saw my other dog, my 15-pound little guy, they might think it’s Thanksgiving. 

1 comment: