Friday, February 3, 2012

Casual Compost or Contained Compost Bin?

I also read that having a casual compost pile is somewhat easier, because compost will "happen" even if you just pile on yard and food waste, water it every now and then, and wait, kind of like growing the compost. On the other hand, because it takes longer to heat, it may not kill the seeds from weeds that may have made their way into the pile.

I haven’t done too much reading up on the enclosed bins, but my guess is that they hold in the heat, and dark ones I saw during my Googling probably absorb the sun’s warmth – even on those cold winter days. The warmer the compost, the faster it decomposes.

Okay, so I've narrowed it down. I want to shut down the buffet line for the wildlife, lighten my trash load by moving kitchen waste (especially those coffee grinds) to the compost, and have compost ready for spring when Jack starts getting his garden ready. Jack can spend the money he saves on expensive fertilizers on me instead. J

No comments:

Post a Comment